GAA | Division Two Round-Up

Hunterstown, St Fechin’s, Joe’s and the Barrs maintain 100% start

St Joseph’s make light work of Glen Emmets

St Joseph’s 3–13 Glen Emmets 0–6

The Joe’s are one of four teams with a 100% record after two games following a convincing win over Glen Emmets at Cluskey Park on Thursday night last.

The early stages were tight with the Joe’s full back line of Stefan Potts, Philip Brennan and Ciaran Gallagher holding firm, leaving the sides level at two points each after 14 minutes.

The teams had exchanged points with the Joe’s opening the scoring in the second minute with a fine Jack Mulligan effort from the left.

The Emmets equalised from a 13m free before Derek Mulligan scored his side’s second point of the game before Emmets replied with a superb point from number five Andrew Mooney.

Four points from frees from Alan Quigley, along with a second point from Jack Mulligan, helped the Dromiskin outfit to a 0–7 to 0–2 lead on 23 minutes but the scoreline could have been closer had the Emmets converted a number of good scoring chances.

Just before the break an excellent interception by Peter Brennan was swiftly moved between Conall Smyth and Alan Quigley to setup Craig Doherty who gave Fergus Barrett no chance in the Emmets goal.

Despite the closeness of the exchanges, the Joe’s opened an eight point margin at the break, 1–7 to 0–2.

The second half started with another excellent goal when Derek Mulligan collected a breaking ball and beat the defence to finish to the net on 33 minutes.

From the resulting kick out, the Emmets were again under pressure and the quick thinking Mulligan put Alan Lynch clear for Lynch to hit the Joe’s third goal of the game.

The hosts dominated around the midfield area through Peter Brennan, Killian Staunton and the support of Cian McGuinness and David Mernagh in the halfback line.

And the remainder of the half saw some superb scores from Derek Mulligan, Alan McKenna, Craig Doherty and a sublime Conall Smyth effort off the outside of his right boot.

The Emmets finished the game with three points in quick succession before Alan McKenna slotted over a 30m free in the 69th minute to give the Joe’s a comprehensive win.

ST JOSEPH’S: Robert Sansom; Ciaran Gallagher, Philip Brennan, Stefan Potts; Cian McGuinness, David Mernagh, Alan Lynch (1–0); Peter Brennan, Killian Staunton; Craig Doherty (1–2), Conall Smyth (0–1), Jack Mulligan (0–2); Derek Mulligan (1–2), Alan McKenna (0–2, 1f), Alan Quigley (0–4, 4f). Subs: Adam O’Connor for A Quigley; Gerard Hoey for C Smyth; Aidan Kieran for C Gallagher; Jack McNamee for D Mulligan; Danny O’Brien for J Mulligan.

GLEN EMMETS: Fergus Barrett; Keith Boylan, Tom Grimes, Shane Noone; Andrew Mooney, Stephen Healy, Robbie Byrne; Mark Garvey, Sean Byrne; Ben Hillard, David Bracken, Evan English; Niall Hackett, Ronan Grufferty, James Butler.

Hunterstown top the table after win over Irelanders

Hunterstown Rovers 3–15 Dundalk Young Irelands 1–6

Hunterstown Rovers top the Division Two table on score difference thanks to a comprehensive 3–15 to 1–6 win over Dundalk Young Irelands on Saturday.

Alan Landy and David Finn both hit points for the mid-Louth side in the opening 10 minutes but it was Brendan Lennon’s 18th minute goal that helped them to a 1–6 to 0–3 lead at the break.

The Young Irelanders were left nine adrift when Alan Landy struck a second for Hunterstown just 20 seconds after the restart.

Padraig Matthews hit a third with seven minutes to play with Cian O’Nairigh netting a consolation for the visitors who also lost Peter Nixon to a first half injury.

HUNTERSTOWN ROVERS: Niall Carrie; Brian Mathews, Richard Taaffe, Richard Cunningham; Keith Brennan, Paul Carrie (0–4), Patrick Taaffe; Tony McKenna (0–1), David Finn (0–1); Brendan Lennon (1–1), Muiris O’Suilleabhain (0–1), Martin Lennon; Paddy Mooney (0–1), Padraig Mathews (1–1), Alan Landy (1–5). Subs: Paddy Mathews for R Taaffe, Shane Dowdall for K Brennan, Colm McKenna for M O’Suilleabhain, Paul Taaffe for R Taaffe.

Brides off the mark with narrow win over Mochtas

St Mochtas 0–15 St Brides 3–7

St Brides edged this closely contested local derby by the narrowest of margins on Sunday afternoon in Pairc Mochta.

The Knockbridge side were the better team in the first half and went in at the break leading 2–6 to 0–8. The first goal came from Sean Marry who caught the Mochtas backline flat footed whilst remonstrating with the referee to bury a loose ball to the net.

The Louth Village side added their first point on five minutes through the lively Ultan Larney and this was quickly followed by scores from Brendan Duff and Darren McMahon to leave it a one point game.

The sides traded scores up until the 26th minute when a penalty was awarded after Andrew English fouled Paddy Reilly just inside the box. Reilly dusted himself down and although his initial effort was saved by Mochtas’ Fergus English, the Louth player was first to the rebound to fire to the net.

The home side added two points before the break through Declan Byrne then Larney to leave the half-time score 2–6 to 0–8 in favour of St Brides.

The second half was only one minute old when St Brides had the ball in the net for a third time, Sean Brennan fisting a high delivery into the back of the net to open up a seven point lead.

St Mochtas responded with the next three scores, two Declan Byrne frees and an Eamon O’Neill effort from play before Paddy Reilly fired over in the 44th minute with what proved to be the Brides’ last score of the game — and more importantly the winning point.

Declan Byrne added four more to his tally to leave just the minimum between the sides but he missed a number of chances from placed balls in time added on to salvage something for St Mochtas.

ST MOCHTAS: Fergus English; Liam Lawlor, Gary Connolly, David Lennon; Brendan Duff (0–1), Andrew English, Cormac Callan; Darren McMahon (0–1), Declan Byrne (0–10, 8f, 1’ 45); Ultan Larney (0–2), Eamon O’Neill (0–1), Stephen McCooey; Danny Kindlon, Martin McGahon, Liam McGranaghan. Subs: Donal Gearon (0–2) for C Callan, Shane McMahon for A English, Nigel Farrell (0–1) for M McGahon, Gavin Breen for S McCooey.

ST BRIDES: Darren Breen; Ronan Bailey, Cillian Kirk, Padraic Mackin; Michael Keane, Andrew Smyth, Conor Deane; Alan Dunne, Mark Hoey; James Costello, Patrick Reilly (1–3), Sean Brennan (1–1); Sean Marry (1–3), Kevin Hearty, Ciaran Deane. Subs Aaron Hoey for J Costelloe; Shane Devin for S Brennan, Cathal Mc Kenna for K Hearty.

Second half goals shoot Na Piarsaigh down

St Fechin’s 4–14 Na Piarsaigh 1–11

St Fechin’s continued their strong start to the Division Two League with a win over Na Piarsaigh who are still waiting to get off the mark.

In a hectic opening, the visitors hit the net through Mark Larkin before it was followed up by a Conall Shields point.

Two points from Ronan Holcroft and one each from Danny Burnell and Colm O’Neill saw the locals draw level in the eighth minute before a David Boyle point edged Na Piarsaigh ahead.

However, a goal and point from Danny Burnell was quickly followed by points from Niall Devlin and Ronan Holcroft to give them a five-point lead.

Na Piarsaigh struck back and enjoyed their best spell of the game with four Alan McCartney points from play reducing the lead to one.

Every time the Dundalk side looked like drawing level, though, the Fechin’s replied with points of their own. Another brace from Holcroft was followed by another from Colm O’Neill.

The Rock Road side finished the half well with a second Boyle point soon followed by one from Eamon McAuley to leave the half time score 1–10 to 1–8.

The second half carried on in the same vein as the first and when Alan McCartney kicked his fifth point of the game to reduce the score to the minimum the natives started to become restless.

Gradually, the Fechin’s superiority began to show on the scoreboard and Ronan Holcroft found the net in the seventh minute of the half before fellow county man Bevan Duffy followed suit three minutes later.

With Dermot McConnell and Duffy now in charge of midfield, the home team piled on the pressure and two Holcroft points were followed by one from Niall Devlin.

A second Duffy goal after a 60 metre run put the icing on the cake and two McAuley points were not enough for Na Piarsaigh to salvage it.

It was just reward that Duffy got the last score of the game with a long range point to lead the Termonfeckin men to a 12-point victory.

ST FECHIN’S: Paul King; Niall McCabe, Richard McDonnell, Leo McGrane; Ryan Sheridan, David Collier, Jamie King; Dermot McConnell, Bevan Duffy (2–1); Marc Hynes, Colm O’Neill (0–2), Niall Devlin (0–2); Danny Burnell (1–2), Ronan Holcroft (1–7), Brian Devlin. Subs: Sean McConnell for N McCabe, Niall Carolan for J King, John Crosbie for D Burnell, Kevin McCabe for C O’Neill, Harry Haughney for N Devlin, Conor Phillips for N Devlin.

NA PIARSAIGH: Brendan Nash; Fergal Mulholland, Joe Woods, Steven McGuinness; Ciarán Murphy, Ronan McCartney, Alan McAuley; Michael Woods, Conall Shields (0–1); John Garvey, Alan McCartney (0–5), Eamon McAuley (0–3); Mark Larkin (1–0), David Boyle (0–2), Damien Greene.

O’Connell’s see off the Plunketts for first win

Oliver Plunketts 1–12 O’Connell’s 1–16

O’Connell’s picked up their first win in the league with a four-point victory over the Plunketts in Mell on Sunday afternoon.

The visitors started well with the first three points from Stuart Osborne, Jackie Agnew and Conor Culligan but the home team responded with two points from Conor Early and an Emmett Kelleher free.

A Niall Conlon free and a point from Paul McKeever extended the lead for the Bellingham side to three before Kelleher pulled one back for the Plunketts.

A minute later a ball played in by the same man was misjudged by the O’Connell’s corner back and fell to Shaun Bannon who shot to the net to put his team in the lead for the first time.

Bannon increased the margin to two with a point and the sides shared the next two scores from Conlon and Robbie Brodigan to leave the score 1–5 to 0–6 after 16 minutes.

The visitors then hit a purple patch and points from McKeever and Culligan levelled the game before a ball into Conlon saw him give a quick lay-off to the on running Sean Cairns who blasted to the back of the net and give his team a three point lead.

Two frees from Conlon and Culligan proved to be the last scores of the half to leave the Bellingham team ahead at the break, 1–5 to 1–10.

Sean Callaghan made it a four point game at the start of the second half but the visitors landed the next three points from Salem Rifaie and a brace from Conlon, both frees, to increase the lead to seven.

Points from Niall Murtagh and Conlon cancelled each other out and kept the margin at seven but the home team rallied and landed the next three points from Cian Brady and a brace from Kelleher to cut the lead to four. But for some wayward shooting they could have been a lot closer.

Andrew Sharkey steadied the ship for O’Connell’s with a point but Kelleher landed a free, his fifth point of the game, to keep his team in touch.

Osborne fisted a point over the bar after a run along the end line to put the visitors five ahead with less than a minute to go.

An excellent 45 from Bannon was the last score of the game but it was the O’Connell’s that got their first win of the Division Two League campaign.

OLIVER PLUNKETTS: Luck Haggins; Sean Rice, David Campbell, Cillian Matthews; Gary Keogh, Sean Brassil, Marty Walsh; Barry Reynolds, Robbie Brodigan (0–1); Conor Early (0–1), Emmett Kelleher (0–5, 2f), Niall Murtagh (0–1); Shaun Bannon (1–2, 1 ’45), Gerard Haran, Sean Callaghan (0–1). Subs: David McTaggart for C Early; Sean Campbell for S Rice; Cian Brady (0–1, 1f) for G Haran; Trevor Walsh for M Walsh; Francis Daly for G Keogh.

O’CONNELL’S: Stuart Reynolds; Emmet Byrne, Dean Stanfield, Kyle Daniels; Salem Rifaie (0–1), Andrew Sharkey (0–1), Jackie Agnew (0–1); Sean Cairns (1–0), Ciaran O’Brien; Conor McGill, Paul McKeever (0–2), Stuart Osborne (0–2); Dean Corrigan, Niall Conlon (0–6, 5f), Conor Culligan (0–3, 2f). Subs: Cian Geeney for D Corrigan; John McLoughlin for K Daniels; Stefan O’Hanrahan for C Culligan; James Luckie for C Geeney (BC).

Woods helps Finnbarrs to comfortable win

Naomh Fionnbarra 1–12 O’Raghallaighs 2–4

Naomh Fionnbarra recorded a good win over O’Raghallaigh’s at John Markey Park on Sunday afternoon.

The Barrs made the brighter start and a quick attack from the throw in ended with Jack Butterly forcing a save from the Ragh’s keeper, Joe Flanagan, who deflected the ball out for a ‘45.

Butterly subsequently sprained his ankle as he was taking the shot and had to be withdrawn from the action to be replaced by William Woods. The resulting ’45 was well struck over by Bernard Osborne.

Woods made a quick impression and scored two quick points from play before he was fouled inside the large square for a penalty. Bernard Osborne took the kick and decisively sent the ball to the back of the net leaving the score 1–3 to 0–0.

O’Raghallaigh’s finally got off the mark a minute later with a point from a free by Ruairi Moore. The Barrs replied with an excellent point from a sideline kick from Woods a few minutes later.

Just when it looked like the Togher men were going to run away with the game O’Raghallaigh’s came to life with a point from play by Alan Doyle. Shortly afterwards a Finbarrs defender fouled in the box and conceded a penalty which was converted by Ben Rogan.

The Drogheda men followed this up in the 25th minute with another goal, this time from play by wing back Eoin Moore and all of a sudden found themselves a point ahead.

To their credit, the Barrs regrouped and had the final say of the half with a pointed from free by Osborne to leave it all square at the break, Naomh Fionnbarra 1–5 to 2–2.

The hosts regained the lead after 34 minutes with a well taken point from play by Conor Osborne and an inspirational score by midfielder John Doyle from the right wing lifted his team even more.

A William Woods ’45, along with a free by Bernard Osborne increased the lead to four but, against the run of play, O’Raghallaigh’s hit back with a point from play by Barry Flanagan.

A lovely point from play by Padraig Butterly with the outside of the boot after some good link play really turned the screw on the visitors and this was further added to on 48 minutes with a well struck free by Woods to make it a five-point game.

There was still a bit of sting left in the O’Raghallaigh’s tail and they fought hard to save the game with Naomh Fionnbarra goalkeeper Andy McCann making a good save with 10 minutes to go.

The Boynesiders did reduce the lead with a pointed free by Barry Flanagan but a combination of some stout defending and a couple of excellent saves by McCann kept them out.

The last score of the game was a point from play by Barry Flanagan which reduced the lead to three but it was too little too late and the Togher men ran out deserving winners.

NAOMH FIONNBARRA: Andy McCann; Hugh McGrane, Kieran Lenihan, Patrick McGrane; Hugh Osborne, Óisín McGee, Bryan Sharkey; John Doyle (0–1), Darren McConnon; Máirtín Murphy, Conor Osborne (0–1), Pádraig Butterly (0–1); Jack Butterly, Gary Matthews, Bernard Osborne (1–3, 3f). Subs: William Woods (0–5) for J Butterly; Chris McGlynn for H Osborne; Pádraic Murphy for G Matthews; Martin O’Neill for P Butterly.

One clap, two clap, three clap, forty?

By clapping more or less, you can signal to us which stories really stand out.