POOL | Thompson clinches inaugural Division One Masters title

Alan Thompson, winner of the Tuborg Dundalk Pool League Division One Masters competition. PICTURE: CIARAN CULLIGAN

The semi-finals of the Division One Masters took place in the Avenue Inn recently where Alan Thompson was in unstoppable form, beating Wayne Rogers 3–0 in the first encounter.

In the second semi final, Ger Cunningham played Vincent Brannigan and Ger won the opening frame with a great six-ball clearance.

Vincent won a tactical second frame to level the match only for Ger to win the next two frames and book his place in the final.

In the final, Alan and Ger shared the first two frames but after this Alan never missed a pot and won the next two frames to clinch the inaugural Division One Masters title on a 3–1 scoreline.

Avengers clinch Division One title

The Division One League final also took place between Avenue Rovers and Avenue Avengers recently.

In the opening match, Wayne Rogers played James Dullaghan and it was Wayne who eventually potted the black to lead 1–0 after a tactical affair. In the second frame, Wayne went on to clear the table — after James potted nothing on the break — to win his match 2–0.

In the second match, Paul Kelly played Ger Cunningham and Ger broke and went on to clear the table. The second frame was another tactical affair but when Ger got the opportunity he cleared the table to win his match 2–0 and tie the overall score at 1–1.

The third match featured Pat Brady and Aidan Kinsella and Aidan was in unstoppable form as he beat Pat 2–0 to put the Avengers 2–1 ahead.

The fourth match took place between Alan Thompson and Avengers captain Damien Carberry and Damien finally potted the black to lead 1–0. In the second frame, Alan broke and cleared the table to level his match at 1–1.

The deciding frame was another well thought out affair and it was Damien who gained the upper hand to win the frame and not only win his match 2–1 but clinch the league title for the Avengers.

Uncle Tom’s seal Division Two trophy

The Division Two League final took place in the Commercial Club where Uncle Tom’s B met Harry’s Heroes.

The first match featured David Quinn and Sean Kavanagh who shared the first two frames before David took full advantage of a mistake by Sean in the decider to put Uncle Tom’s 1–0 ahead.

In the second match, Sean McGorrian played Tommy O’Hare and Sean won the opening frame for Uncle Tom’s with a six-ball clearance.

The second frame was very tactical and when the opportunity arose Sean cleared the table to put Uncle Tom’s 2–0 ahead.

In the third match, Paul Kearney played Martin Hayes and Paul was on top form as he beat Martin 2–0 to complete a 3–0 victory for Uncle Tom’s to seal the title.

Shield final

In the Shield final, played in the Blue Anchor, Castle Bar Baize played Avenue United and the Baize were on top form as they recorded a 3–0 victory.

It’s hard to believe but this is the first ever trophy won by one of the most talented team in the league.

Updates on fixtures can be found on the the Tuborg Dundalk Pool League league website or on the league’s Facebook page.

One clap, two clap, three clap, forty?

By clapping more or less, you can signal to us which stories really stand out.