NEFL | Conroy looking to get back involved despite parting of the ways with Bellurgan
Defeat to OMP signals the end of his tenure at Tom Flynn Park
Wayne Conroy insists he wants to stay in management despite being relieved of his duties as Bellurgan United manager earlier this week.
Last Sunday’s 3–1 defeat to OMP United at Tom Flynn Park was Bellurgan’s third league defeat in six games and leaves them sitting in fifth place, eight points behind leaders Trim Celtic.
Speaking to Dundalk Sport, Conroy said he was ‘really disappointed’ with the decision and felt he should have been afforded more time in a position he only took up in late July.
“I thought it was a very harsh decision,” he said. “I was only in the job for 10 or 11 games overall and we had some really good results up until recently.
“Some of the games we lost, we played very well. I look at Sunday’s game with OMP where we should have been three or four goals ahead but we ended up losing.
“I feel I should have been given more time to turn the club around and don’t think we were too far from really clicking into gear but obviously the club think differently.”
Conroy led Rangers and Woodview Reserves to silverware in the past and he said the move to Bellurgan would not diminish his appetite to go back into management.
“I’ll definitely be looking to get back into football,” he said. “I’ve been managing for 10 years and I still feel I have a lot to offer.
“The support and messages I’ve had from the players at Bellurgan has meant a lot and I would like to thank them for their efforts,” he added.
Bellurgan make the short journey to Dundalk tonight where they face Muirhevnamor, who are also without a manager following the departure of Sean Maguire, at 8pm.
Before you go…
If you found this article helpful, click the 👏 button below or share the article on Facebook so your friends can benefit from it too.