NEFL | Bellurgan United still in the title hunt but Rock Celtic are relegated

Muirhevnamor have chance to secure trophy on Sunday

White’s goal keeps Bellurgan on track

Trim Celtic 0–1 Bellurgan United

Brian White’s goal kept Bellurgan United’s NEFL Premier Division title hopes alive as the peninsula side left Trim with all three points on Sunday morning.

Padraig Gollogley and his players made the long journey to Meath knowing that only a win would suffice to keep Bellurgan in with a chance of catching leaders Muirhevnamor and White’s first half goal proved decisive.

Bellurgan must now wait on the outcome of this Sunday’s clash between Muirhevnamor and Navan Cosmos at the NEFL Grounds at 11.30am.

If the Dundalk side win the game then they will secure the title but a win for Cosmos, or a draw, would open the door for Bellurgan or Newfoundwell — who face off at the same venue next Wednesday night — to force a title play-off.

White’s winner came midway through the first-half and it was a moment to savour, the midfielder curling a beautifully hit 25-yard free kick past the Trim Celtic goalkeeper to give his side a half-time lead.

Some fine defending by Ray Finnegan and Sean McEvoy kept Trim Celtic at bay in the second half with Bellurgan goalkeeper Robbie Arthur also called into action to make a number of good saves.

The visitors also had chances to double their lead with Danny O’Connor denied by the home side’s goalkeeper after an excellent Stephen Finnegan pass and Paddy Quinn also passed up a good opening to put the seal on the win.

Trim poured men forward in the dying stages but Bellurgan held out for a crucial win leaving Muirhevnamor with no room for error on Sunday.

BELLURGAN UNITED: Robbie Arthur, Owen Treanor, Ray Finnegan, Sean McEvoy, John Smyth, Danny O’Connor, Stephen Finnegan, Brian White, Diarmuid Murphy, Owen Armstrong, Paddy Quinn.

Relegated Rock end league season in defeat

Rock Celtic 0–1 Duleek

Relegated Rock Celtic’s NEFL Premier Division campaign came to a close with a 1–0 loss at home to Duleek on Friday night.

With nothing at stake, Seasiders boss Robert Cosgrove handed a start to a host of the club’s successful U17 Dundalk Schoolboys League side, as well as lining out in defence himself.

This only real opportunity of the half fell to the away side but Tom McDonough in the Rock goal managed to successfully claw it away to leave the game scoreless at the break.

The game did manage to spruce up a bit in the second half and Duleek goalkeeper Keith Carolan was equal to Dessie McKeown’s effort.

Jamie McCaul also went close to breaking the deadlock but it was the visitors who got the all important goal when Daniel Martin headed past McDonough.

Cosgrove’s young bucks went in pursuit of an equaliser and McKeown and striker Kizito Ekwueme went close before substitute Neil Smyth went within inches of meeting an Oisin Meegan cross to divert the ball home.

The Seasiders’ season was summed up in the dying stages when youngster Jack Reid was sent-off after picking up a second yellow card.

ROCK CELTIC: Tom McDonough, Liam McDonnell (Numbarack), Robert Cosgrove (Mark Hanna), Brendan Rodgers, Oisin Meegan, Jack Reid, Jamie McCaul (Neil Smyth), Feidhlim Joyce, Dessie McKeown, Tomiwa Badun, Kizito Ekwueme.

One clap, two clap, three clap, forty?

By clapping more or less, you can signal to us which stories really stand out.