GAA | Division One Round-Up 130517

Goals galore in Kilkerley as Mairtins lose | Clans miss out on top spot | O’Mahony’s win in Drogheda | Cooley storm back in peninsula derby | McArdle denies the Geraldines | Dreadnots ease to win in Collon

Goals galore as Kilkerley end Mairtins’ unbeaten run

Kilkerley Emmets 6–9 Naomh Mairtin 3–16

There were nine goals, 25 points and plenty of talking points in Kilkerley on Saturday evening as the hosts inflicted a first defeat of the season on Naomh Mairtin.

Kilkerley hit two goals in the early stages with Shane Lennon finding the net after he was originally denied from the penalty spot by Jamie Mulholland before Daniel McKeown followed suit.

The league leaders weathered the early storm and scored the first of their goals when JP Rooney beat Rian Hand in the 11th minute.

The goals continued to rain down and both sides raised the green flag again with McKeown and Conor Whelan on target for their respective teams before the Jocks finished the half strongly to take a five-point lead in at the break, 2–10 to 3–2.

That was increased to six early in the second-half but two more quickfire goals by Kilkerley from the boot of Lennon and James Fegan levelled matters.

Things ebbed and flowed after that with Kilkerley taking the lead before substitute Mark McCullough scored a goal to put the Mairtins two points ahead.

The ding-dong nature of the game continued but Tadhg McEneaney’s late goal ensured it was the home side who came out on top of a spectacular game.

KILKERLEY EMMETS: Rian Hand; Dylan Lynch, Adam Shields, Ciaran Clarke; Cillian Kampes, Alan McGeough, Cormac Bellew; James Shields, Ciaran Bellew; Shaun McElroy (0–1), Sean Hand (0–1), James Fegan (1–0); Tadhg McEneaney (1–3), Shane Lennon (2–4), Daniel McKeown (2–0). Subs: Conal McEneaney for J Shields, Connor Kirk for Cormac Bellew.

NAOMH MAIRTIN: Jamie Mulholland; Paul Berrill, Thomas O’Sullivan, Jack McCarville; Padraig McDonagh, Benny Reilly, John Clutterbuck; Val Leddy, Mick Fanning; Conor Healy (0–1), Stephen Campbell (0–2), Paddy Usher (0–2); Conor Whelan (1–3), Brian Berrill (0–6), JP Rooney (1–2). Sub: Mark McCullough (1–0).

Clans pay the price for missed penalty against Mary’s

Clan na Gael 0–8 Ardee St Mary’s 0–10

Clan na Gael missed out on the chance to go top of Division One as they were beaten for the first time this season at home to Ardee St Mary’s on Saturday night.

The mid-Louth side started brightly with four unanswered points from Mark Fay, Daire McConnon, Ronan Carroll and the experienced Darren Clarke.

Alan Kirk got what proved to be the Marys’ last score of the half in the 13th minute and the Clans hit back with points from Billy Smith and Robbie Curran to leave just one in it at the break.

Points from Clarke and McConnon kept the Mary’s in front before Kian Moran put three points between the teams with a score from all of 40 yards.

Mark McCann’s side kept in touch and they found themselves two points adrift when they were awarded a penalty but Ardee goalkeeper Peter Duffy kept out Smith’s spot kick to move the Mary’s joint top of the table.

ARDEE ST MARY’S: Peter Duffy, Eamon Callaghan, Niall Carroll, David Carroll, Brendan Matthews, Eimhin Keenan, Wayne Matthews, Ronan Carroll (0–1), Robbie Leavy, Jamie Rooney, Darren Clarke (0–2), Alan Kirk (0–1), Mark Fay (0–1), Kian Moran (0–1), Daire McConnon (0–4). Subs: Shane Carroll for J Rooney, Dean Matthews for D Clarke, Mark Gorman for W Matthews.

McLaughlin catches the eye in O’Mahony’s win

Newtown Blues 1–12 Sean O’Mahony’s 3–9

Sean O’Mahony’s recorded an important win away to bottom of the table Newtown Blues in Drogheda on Saturday evening.

Playing against the breeze, the O’Mahony’s made a slow start and found themselves six points adrift with Ross Nally hitting four frees for the Newfoundwell side.

Alan Craven’s team responded when Pat O’Brien launched a high ball into the square and Conor Crawley used his large frame to turn it into the net.

Ben McLaughlin then kicked his first point from play, followed by a Stephen Kilcoyne free to leave the minimum between the sides.

However, the Blues responded quickly with a goal from John Kermode and two more frees from the boot of Nally to leave it 1–8 to 1–2 at half time.

The Blues kicked the first point of the second half but that seemed to spark the county champions into gear and they reeled off the next six scores.

Three great points arrived from play through Vinny Smith, Ben McLaughlin and Stephen Fisher before McLaughlin latched on to a layoff on the 45 at full speed, before rifling into the top corner of the net.

Stephen Kilcoyne finished off a good move with a rare point with his right foot before Conor Finnegan expertly landed a 45 between the posts to put the Point Road side one point ahead.

The Blues did respond with an equalising free before edging one ahead but McLaughlin kicked his third point of the day, followed by Stephen Kilcoyne’s third, to move the O’Mahony’s in front again.

McLaughlin then turned provider, surging up the middle before laying off to Barry Macken who expertly finished into the net.

The home team tried to manufacture a goal in the seven minutes of added time that was played but the Sean’s defence held resolute with two more frees from Nally all that the Blues could fashion.

SEAN O’MAHONY’S: Sean Quigley, Michael Clarke, Ronan Byrne, Chris O’Neill, Jonathan Connolly, John O’Brien, Pat O’Brien, Conor Martin, Shane Brennan, Conor Finnegan (0–1, 1’45), Ben McLaughlin (1–3), Stephen Fisher (0–1), Stephen Kilcoyne (0–3, 1f), Conor Crawley (1–0), Vinny Smith 0–1. Subs: Barry Macken (1–0).

Cooley revival sees them leave Lordship with a point

St Patrick’s 1–12 Cooley Kickhams 2–9

An incredible peninsula derby ended all square in Lordship on Saturday night as Cooley Kickhams came back from an eight-point deficit to snatch a draw.

Pat’s looked home and hosed at the break, leading 1–9 to 0–4, with Kevin Toner’s 14th minute goal and points from Paddy Keenan (0–3), Conor Grogan (0–3), Jason Woods (0–2) and Thomas McCann putting them in the driving seat.

Cooley, who had to wait until Gerry Malone opened their account in the 20th minute, could only muster three more scores before the short whistle with Brian White (0–2) and Conor Rafferty also on target.

When Paddy Lynch’s 47th minute point moved Pat’s 1–12 to 0–7 in front, that looked to be that but Cooley dug deep and a quickfire brace of goals from Michael Rafferty cut the deficit to just two points.

Brian White reduced it to the minimum before Rafferty drew the sides level with six minutes to play and Cooley had chances to complete an astonishing comeback but Pat’s clung on for a point.

ST PATRICK’S: Rory Duffy, Cormac Barry, Dessie Finnegan, Darren O’Hanlon, Kevin White, Eoghan Lafferty, Ross Murphy, Paddy Keenan (0–4), Thomas McCann (0–1), Cathal Grogan, Aidan McCann, Daniel Rice, Jason Woods (0–2), Kevin Toner (1–0), Conor Grogan (0–4). Subs: Sean McGeough, Paddy Lynch (0–1).

COOLEY KICKHAMS: Neil Gallagher, James Loughran, Conor Kenny, Patrick Hanlon, Gerry Malone (0–1), Alan Page, Declan McGuinness, Peter Thornton, Conor Rafferty (0–1), Keith White, Aoghan McGuinness, Michael Rafferty (2–1), Thomas McGuinness, Brian White (0–6), Gareth McShane. Subs: Michael Carron, Jake McShane.

Eanna’s brace secures Gaels a point against the Gers

Dundalk Gaels 0–14 Geraldines 1–11

A tight game at the Ramparts ended all square on Saturday night as the Gaels and the Geraldines picked up a valuable point apiece.

The hosts enjoyed the better of the opening stages and found themselves 0–7 to 0–1 in front with Shane Rice, Jason Clarke and Eanna McArdle all on target.

The Geraldines hit back when Paul Clarke fired the only goal of the game past Micheal Lambert and with Jim McEneaney punishing the Gaels with a number of dead balls, it was the Haggardstown men who were in front as the half wore to a close.

Ger McSorley equalised to send the teams in level at the break, 0–8 to 1–5, and the nip and tuck nature of the game continued in the second-half as both teams stayed in touch.

A Sean Fee point but the Gaels one ahead with 11 minutes to play but the Geraldines responded and when Kevin Pepper broke from the back to shoot over before Dara Hamill hit his third point of the night it looked like they would go on and take the two points on offer.

The Gaels, though, fought back and two late frees from Eanna McArdle meant the shares were spoiled.

DUNDALK GAELS: Michéal Lambert, Daire O’Callaghan, Conor Morgan, Peter McGinnity, David McComish, Derek Crilly, Sean Murray, Sean Fee (0–1), Sean McCann, Ger McSorley (0–1), Jason Clarke (0–4, 1f), Shane Rice (0–1), Eanna McArdle (0–7), Niall Hearty, Chris Sweeney. Subs: James Lynch for S McCann (BC), Jordan Keating for C Sweeney (BC).

GERALDINES: Darrin Kearney, Gareth Neacy, James Craven, Tiarnan Hand, Kevin Pepper (0–1), Jack Traynor, Nicky Mackin, Matt Corcoran, Paddy Hoey, Sean Thornton, Jim McEneaney (0–7, 6f), Dara Hamill (0–3), Shane O’Hanlon, Josh Arrowsmith, Paul Clarke (1–0). Subs: Stephen Reidy for S O’Hanlon.

Dreadnots ease to win in Collon

Mattock Rangers 0–6 Dreadnots 1–14

The Dreadnots had too much for Mattock Rangers in Collon, running out comfortable winners.

Liam Shevlin’s goal split the sides at the break and the Clogherhead side opened up in the second-half, hitting 10 points.

Mattock struggled in front of the posts with only David Reid and Dan Bannon getting their names on the scoresheet.

The result leaves the Dreadnots in third place, one behind Naomh Mairtin and Ardee St Mary’s while Mattock sit in mid-table.

MATTOCK RANGERS: Mike Englishby, Jack Dunne, Ciaran Calvey, Shane Maguire, Alan Caraher, Sean Gilsenan, Michael McKeown, Daniel Bannon (0–1), Hugh Donnelly, Adrian Reid, Aaron O’Brien, Cathal Clarke, Daire Englishby, David Reid (0–5, 4f), Ryan Leneghan. Subs: James Caraher for J Dunne, Ivor Sherlock for S Maguire, Ben McKenna for J Caraher, Ruairi Hickey for R Leneghan, Stephen Smith for H Donnelly (BC).

One clap, two clap, three clap, forty?

By clapping more or less, you can signal to us which stories really stand out.