GAA | Division One League Round-Up

Wins for Clans, Mattock, Mary’s, Mairtins, Pat’s and the Gaels

Mairtins run amok in Newfoundwell

Newtown Blues 0–12 Naomh Mairtin 4–15

Naomh Mairtin’s 100% start to the Division One season continued as they put Newtown Blues to the sword in Drogheda on Saturday evening.

The visitors got off to a great start when Conor Whelan’s shot was carried over the line by the Blues goalkeeper after just two minutes.

The Blues steadied the ship and grew into the game but the Mairtins got their second in the 30th minute when Sam Mulroy took a quick free to Conor Healy and he rattled home from close range.

The loss of Chris Reid and Lorcan McQuillan didn’t help the cause of the Newfoundwell outfit and the Jocks took full control in the 42nd minute when they got their third goal through Brian Berrill.

Substitute Mark McCullough became the eighth different player to score for the Mairtins when he scored a fourth goal late on to end the game as a contest.

NAOMH MAIRTIN: Craig Lynch; Paul Berrill, Thomas Sullivan, Jack McCarville; Padraig McDonagh, Benny Reilly, John Clutterbuck (0–1); Val Leddy, Mick Fanning (0–1), Stephen Campbell; JP Rooney (0–3), Conor Healy (1–2), Conor Whelan (1–0); Brian Berrill (1–3), Sam Mulroy (0–4, 1f, 1 45′). Subs: Mark McCullough (1–1) for S Campbell; Luke Harrington for V Leddy; Alan Downey for J Clutterbuck; Patrick Sullivan for M Fanning, Gavin Mooney for B Reilly.

NEWTOWN BLUES: Jay Lowney; Niall Costello, Fergal O’Donoghue, John Connolly; Colm Judge (0–2), Stephen Moonan, Ian Connor; Ciaran Downey, Kevin Carr; Paul Moore, Hugh McGinn, Lorcan McQuillan; Conor Moore, Robert Carr (0–5), Ross Nally (0–4). Subs: Chris Reid for F O’Donoghue (BC), Keelan McKenna for J Connolly, Adam McGinn for S Moonan, John Kermode for H McGinn, James Carter (0–1) for L McQuillan (BC).

REFEREE: Aidan Shevlin.

Gaels bounce back with win over Cooley

Dundalk Gaels 1–15 Cooley Kickhams 1–5

Dundalk Gaels bounced back from their opening night defeat to the Sean O’Mahony’s by beating Cooley Kickhams at the Ramparts.

The home side, who were able to recall experienced players like Jamie Faulkner and Louth star James Stewart, held a 1–9 to 0–3 lead at the break with Derek Crilly raising the green flag.

Cooley fared little better in the second half, scoring just three times, and although Michael Rafferty hit the back of the net in the 40th minute, the Gaels did just enough to secure the win.

DUNDALK GAELS: Michael Lambert; Daire O’Callaghan, Jamie Faulkner, Peter McGinnity; David McComish (0–1), Derek Crilly (1–4), Errol Boyle; James Stewart, Gerard Fee; Shane Rice (0–1), Sean Murray (0–1), Jason Clarke (0–2); Sean Fee (0–2), Gerard McSorley (0–1), Christopher Sweeney (0–1). Subs: Niall Hearty for G Fee, Barry Waters (0–1) for S Fee, John Byrne (0–1) for J Clarke, Stephen Murphy for S Murray.

COOLEY KICKHAMS: Neil Gallagher; Dylan McGarrity, Conor Kenny, Patrick Hanlon; Gerry Malone, Richard Brennan, Keith White; Darren Marks (0–1), Peter Thornton; Emmet Rogan, Michael Rafferty (1–1), Aoghan McGuinness; Michael Carron, Conor Rafferty (0–3), Emmet McGuigan. Subs: Gareth McShane, Anthony White, Aaron White, Ciaran Sheelan.

Geraldines still searching for their first league win

Ardee St Marys 0–13 Geraldines 1–8

The Geraldines are still looking for their first win of the league season after slipping to a two point defeat against St Mary’s in Ardee.

An ill-tempered encounter, which ended with the visitors playing with 14-men, saw the Mary’s go behind in the third minute when Michael Rogers got enough on a high ball to beat Peter Duffy in the home side’s goal.

The Gers continued to pose a threat in attack and the woodwork, combined with some excellent goalkeeping, prevented them from adding further scores.

Points from Kian Moran, Ronan Carroll, Darren Clarke kept the Mary’s in touch before Paudy Clarke put them in front. Alan Kirk extended the lead with a brace but Jim McEneaney left just two between the sides with a well hit free before the interval.

Inter-county player John Bingham came to Duffy’s rescue in the early stages of the second half, clearing a goalbound effort to safety and the Mary’s opened up with a three point flurry with Darren Clarke, Alan Kirk and Mark Fay all on target.

The Haggardstown side were left with it all to do when Tiarnan Hand was given his marching orders by referee Des McDonald in the 40th minute for an incident with Darren Clarke. Kirk punished the visitors even more, converting the free to leave it 0–12 to 1–03.

The Geraldines launched a late onslaught with McEneaney, James Craven and Shane O’Hanlon amongst those on target but a Fay point kept Ardee in command and they saw it out to claim their first win.

ARDEE ST MARY’S: Peter Duffy; Eamon Callaghan, John Bingham, Brendan Matthews; Conor Keenan, Eimhin Keenan, Wayne Matthews; Ronan Carroll (0–1), Robert Leavy; Daire McConnon, Alan Kirk (0–4, 2f); Paudie Clarke (0–2), Mark Fay (0–2), Kian Moran, Darren Clarke (0–3, 1f). Subs: Barry McCoy for W Matthews, Cian Commins for A Kirk

GERALDINES: Sean McEneaney; Paul Clarke, Nicky Mackin, Gareth Neacy; Jack Traynor, James Craven (0–1), Tiarnan Hand; Matt Corcoran, Michael Rogers (1–1); Josh Arrowsmith, Shane O’Hanlon (0–1), Dara Hamill (0–1, 1f); Glen Traynor (0–1), Jim McEneaney (0–3, 2f), Kevin Pepper. Subs: Dylan Kresa for N Mackin (BC), Sean Thornton for K Pepper.

REFEREE: Des McDonnell.

Reid on fire again as Mattock punish Kilkerley

Mattock Rangers 2–13 Kilkerley Emmets 0–9

David Reid’s blistering run of form continued as Mattock Rangers beat Kilkerley Emmets by nine points in Collon.

The Mattock forward hit all but six of his side’s scores as they made it two wins from two.

Kilkerley struggled for scores in the first half with Tadhg McEneaney adding to Shane Lennon’s opener at a stage when Mattock were six points in front.

That lead jumped to eight at the interval as Aaron O’Brien added a brace before the short whistle.

Reid made it 1–9 to 0–3 with his first goal of the game and although Kilkerley racked up four without reply as McEneaney and Lennon added to their respective tallies it was Mattock who finished strongly with Reid, his brother Adrian and O’Brien all on target.

MATTOCK RANGERS: Mike Englishby; Shane Maguire, Ciaran Calvey, Alan Caraher; Brendan Leacy, Sean Gilsenan, Michael McKeown; Daniel Bannon, Hugh Donnelly; Adrian Reid (0–2), David Reid (2–7, 5f), Terry Donegan; Daire Englishby, Aaron O’Brien (0–4), Ryan Leneghan. Subs: Brian Corcoran for T Donegan, James Caraher for B Corcoran, Conor Leneghan for R Leneghan, Jack Dunne for S Maguire.

KILKERLEY EMMETS: Rian Hand; Ciaran Clarke, Adam Shields, Dylan Lynch; Micheal McGeown, Alan McGeough, Andrew McGuill; James Fegan (0–1), Ciaran Bellew; Shaun McElroy, Conal McEneaney, Sean Hand; Tadhg McEneaney (0–3), Shane Lennon (0–4), Daniel McKeown 0–1. Subs: Darren Meehan for S McElroy, Cormac Belllew for D Lynch, Connor Kirk for S Hand.

REFEREE: David J McArdle.

White springs from the bench to win it for Pat’s

St Patrick’s 1–14 Dreadnots 2–10

Substitute Evan White’s last-gasp point proved to be decisive as St Patrick’s beat the Dreadnots in Lordship.

The sides went in level at 1–7 each at the break with Daniel Rice’s 29th minute goal wiping out a 14th minute opener from the Clogherhead side.

There proved to be very little between the teams in the second half but with three minutes to go it was the visitors who held a 2–10 to 1–12 lead.

Pat’s, however, rallied and a Paddy Keenan point made it all square again before White, a 46th minute replacement for Woods, came up trumps in stoppage time to bank Davey Nelson’s side their first two points of the season.

ST PATRICK’S: Rory Duffy; Alan O’Connor, Dessie Finnegan, Darren O’Hanlon; Eoghan Lafferty, Kevin Toner, Ross Murphy; Paddy Keenan (0–5, 4f), Thomas McCann; Cathal Grogan (0–2), Aidan McCann, Daniel Rice (1–1); Jason Woods, Eoin O’Connor (0–3), Conor Grogan (0–2). Subs: Kevin White for K Toner (BC); Evan White (0–1) for J Woods.

One clap, two clap, three clap, forty?

By clapping more or less, you can signal to us which stories really stand out.