FLASHBACK FRIDAY #3 | October 19 2013

Hoban and Towell both on target as Lilywhites sign off with a win over Cork City at Oriel Park

Patrick Hoban scores with a sensational overhead kick. PICTURE: MICK SLEVIN

Dundalk FC face Cork City tonight in what is a must win game for the Lilywhites if they are to have any chance of winning a fourth success league title.

This week’s Flashback Friday takes us back to the meeting between the sides in October 2013, Dundalk FC’s final home game of Stephen Kenny’s first campaign in charge.

First half goals from Richie Towell and Patrick Hoban — the latter’s an incredible overhead kick — were added to by a Gearoid Morrissey own goal and a late John Dillon strike to secure Dundalk FC a 4–0 win and all but guarantee them the runners-up spot.

Below is a selection of pictures from the late Mick Slevin’s archives — including a snap of Hoban’s wonder goal and a certain Daryl Horgan in action for Cork City — as well as my match report from the game.

Little did we know what was around the corner……

Dundalk FC 4–0 Cork City | October 19th 2013

There may have been no league trophy on show but there were jubilant scenes at Oriel Park on Friday night as Dundalk brought the curtain down on their home campaign with a sumptuous display of attacking football against Cork City.

Richie Towell and Patrick Hoban — who have possibly got the makings of becoming the modern day equivalent of Barry Kehoe and Dessie Gorman — both scored contenders for the Goal of the Season award as the Lilywhites tightened their grip on the runners-up spot.

Hoban and Towell were last week nominated for both the PFAI Player of the Year and Young Player of the Year awards and they showed why; hitting two of the finest goals seen at the Carrick Road ground in many a year. Anyone who was lucky enough to witness them will certainly not find it easy to wipe them from the memory.

After the disappointment of seeing St Patrick’s Athletic take the title last Sunday, the club — dissimilar to recent years when under the previous owner it seemed to stumble from one disaster to another — responded with a masterclass in PR by announcing that 10 of the current squad had already put pen to paper for next season.

Left: Richie Towell celebrates his goal. Right: Mark Rossiter beats Ciaran Kilduff to this ball. PICTURES: MICK SLEVIN

That gave the supporters renewed hope and optimism and the mood at kick-off was one of pride at the renaissance of the club this season and renewed hope that this squad, put together by Stephen Kenny, can go one better next year.

With 10 of the 11 Dundalk players on display knowing that their future was secure, the hosts asked all the questions early on with Andy Boyle and Hoban passing up good chances to open the scoring.

As the game approached the half hour mark it seemed only a matter of time before Dundalk hit the front and they did so in some fashion after 36 minutes. Nothing seemed on when Towell picked the ball up some 30-yards from goal but the midfielder let fly with a rocket that flew into Mark McNulty’s top corner.

If Towell’s strike was sensational, then there were few superlatives that could do justice to Hoban’s goal in first-half stoppage time. Again, the Cork City goal looked safe from harm as the ball looped into the air on the edge of the 18-yard box but Hoban somehow managed to get up and guide an incredible bicycle kick past the stunned McNulty.

The Dundalk FC players and supporters celebrate at full-time. PICTURES: MICK SLEVIN

Kenny’s side showed no let up at the start of the second-half and McNulty was left helpless again after 48 minutes when his centre-back Garry Buckley deflected a header into his own net.

The unfortunate Buckley was involved again for the wrong reasons six minutes later. His horrendous misplaced pass fell straight into the path of John Mountney but McNulty did well to stop the midfielder’s effort, sparing Buckley another embarrassing moment.

Ciaran Kilduff and Danny Morrissey both had half chances for the Leesiders but the home side continued to play some fine football, carving City open at will.

McNulty had to be at his best again to deny Hoban and Towell in quick succession as the game approached the final 20 minutes and Hoban should have doubled his tally when he flashed a free header over the bar from yet another corner kick.

Left: Stephen Kenny congratulates Daryl Horgan. Right: Future housemates John Mountney and Daryl Horgan do battle. PICTURES: MICK SLEVIN

The icing was put on the cake in stoppage time when John Dillon curled another beautiful effort past McNulty.

The final whistle blew soon after and the 1700 plus fans who braved the dismal conditions stayed in the ground, clapping and lavishing praise on the players, the backroom staff and the manager who have reinstalled belief in this famous old club.

Twelve months ago, Dundalk Football Club was teetering on the brink; under new owners and under Kenny it has been reborn. It will be five months before a ball is kicked again at Oriel Park but already people are counting down until the 2014 season kicks off.

That sums up the feeling around the club at the minute. It is a joy to behold!

DUNDALK FC: Peter Cherrie; Mark Rossiter (John Sullivan 77), Andy Boyle, Brian Gartland, Dane Massey; Richie Towell, Stephen O’Donnell (John Dillon 55), Chris Shields; John Mountney, Kurtis Byrne (Tiarnan Mulvenna 89); Patrick Hoban. Subs not used: Simon Kelly, Vinny Faherty, Francis McCaffrey, Conor Winn (GK).

CORK CITY: Mark McNulty; John Kavanagh (Ian Turner 55), Garry Buckley, Dan Murray, Danny Murphy; Gearoid Morrissey, John Dunleavy (Stephen Kenny 82), Shane Duggan, Daryl Horgan (Kalen Spillane 74), Danny Morrissey; Ciaran Kilduff. Subs not used: Rob Lehane, Jason Forde, Andy O’Connell, Kevin Burns (GK).

REFEREE: Neil Doyle. ATTENDANCE: 1,733

One clap, two clap, three clap, forty?

By clapping more or less, you can signal to us which stories really stand out.